Sited as it is, on a ridge above the confluence of the Rivers Livet and Avon (pronounced A’an), the castle occupies a natural strategic site. It is likely that the present castle is constructed on the site of previous fortifications and may originally have been an Iron Age Dun. It is now a Scheduled Monument.
There is little written history on the castle and what there is can be open to interpretation. However, it is recorded that King Robert II granted the lands of Strathavon (including Drumin) to his son Alexander Stewart on the 17th July 1372.
Alexander Stewart (1342-1406), referred to as the “Wolf of Badenoch” was noted for his temper and harsh justice. He is mostly remembered for the sacking and burning of Elgin Cathedral (1390) as part of a long term feud with the Bishop of Moray. It is unlikely that he was ever in permanent residence at Drumin, the castle being held by one of his sons. He also owned the strongholds of Lochindorb and Loch-an-Eilean and would more likely be resident there.
It is thought that Sir Walter Stewart, the Wolf’s Grandson, built the current castle in the late 1400’s, replacing an earlier fortification. The same Sir Walter Stewart, however, disposed of the castle and lands pertaining to Drumin in 1490, when they passed to Alexander, 3rd Earl of Huntly.
The Stewart family continued to live at Drumin and nearby Kilmaichlie, until the early 1700’s when Gordon Stewart is thought to have been the last resident of the castle. It is presumed that the castle fell into disuse about this time.
The only other notable reference to the castle in the intervening period was that the Marquis of Argyll stopped there with his army before the Battle of Glenlivetin 1594.